Stay up to date with Abbey Ryan. Sign up for email updates:
Join 34,000+ collectors, artists, & art lovers

Still Life with Marble and Asian Pear (friends) (+ the Rapture of Seeing)


Available - email abbeyryan@gmail.com for purchase info

This is my first painting in a new series entitled "friends" -- unlikely (yet simpatico) pairings. With this painting, I am still researching the "white" background in the John Johnston Still Life from 1810 that I studied in 2015 at the "Audubon to Warhol: The Art of American Still Life" exhibition at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. I found a poor quality image of Johnston's still life online here.

If you're interested, "The Rapture of Seeing: In memory of Ellsworth Kelly" is a detailed America Magazine article about Ellsworth Kelly. Published in print in the March 21, 2016 issue, here is an excerpt:

“I think what we all want from art is a sense of fixity,” Kelly said, “a sense of opposing the chaos of daily living.” But for that one must risk contemplation, finding the time and space to share his clear vision. And if one does? Kelly’s pilgrimage amounts to a promise. “In a sense, what I’ve tried to capture is the reality of flux, to keep art an open, incomplete situation, to get at the rapture of seeing.” [Keep reading]

If you enjoy this painting, you might like to see a bunch of my paintings of marbles (scroll down) or Asian pears.

To purchase my work, view my Current Auctions and All Available Paintings.

Best,